Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, January 12, 2013

QUESTIONS I HAVE

                                         

couple of decades ago, i was that boy in school who asked too many questions. music, geography, jasmani, math, science you name it. some of my questions are beyond logic too, which is why i guess my teachers thought i was playing the fool. but i assure you, i was not. i wanted answers. like once, in an art class i drew a purple coloured durian and was called up by my teacher to which i asked "what is the point of me drawing an actual durian when i can take a photo of it? now i can't take a photo of a purple durian can i?" - stood on the chair after that - with one hand holding the paint brush and the other holding the purple coloured durian.

that boy has grown to become a man, and that man still have many questions. having too many questions and asking them are great, because your life becomes a process of finding answers. flip side of it is you won't have that many friends, some will actively avoid you, some think you're boring while some put their guards up, becoming defensive. but then again, you can easily filter people - those who are worth having conversations with, you stick by them and your life is enriched.

people fear change, that's natural. questions may lead to changes in a system, changes in the way we do things, changes in the way we think, it could even change you - hence people fear questions. personally i think, since we were kids, especially i speak of the malay society, we are trained to fear having questions, we can't question - the 'saya yang menurut perintah' doctrine. and as questions lead to reasoning or logic, lack of questions will then lead to lack of logic, and such is compounded that the whole nation becomes a nation lacking logic.

well... that said, if you think asking too many questions is harmful, i turned out alright, right? so... how now? (that was another question wasn't it?)

fin

16 comments:

izfelani said...

i too asked too many questions, and i too have been avoided by many for that very reason.

when in school, i once questioned my ustazah. she said, a muslim, no matter how sinful he/she is, after a certain period of time of torture in hell, will eventually gain entrance to heaven. and so i asked (part of me was playing the fool, but another was just trying to test her), that's not fair, what about those non-muslims who are so much better than the muslims i know. Allah would have mercy on them, would He?

as expected she was stupefied. because she didnt know how else to answer that, she punished me for questioning things that she thought might corrode my faith.

but little did she know i was just being a questioning little boy who was, and is still, having fun doing it.

and i turned out alright. in my class now i stimulate my students to not be scared to ask any questions. coz not asking something just because u fear how people would react to it is just plain sad.

good entry bro. indulge us with more.

salam.

Nisa Kamaruddin said...

I too like you like to paint differently from my classmates but my Art teacher encourages me more. She said Art is subjective. She even prasied me for colouring the moon green and the sea red. I learned from her that having different view from others is okay :)

Dottie With Dots said...

As I grew up, I learnt that some questions are better left unanswered.

amanyatim said...

once i thought having different views will make me different and people around me will think of me as if i am some weirdo that loves to play with facts and stuff, but today i realised that, there are so many poeple like me that loves to question things around them, and it's fine to do that, and today i found you ,,,

great post :D

Andartu Timbuktu said...

*Shakes head and smile*

Liya said...

Very deep thought sir.

Anonymous said...

my 8 yr old son too, asks sooooooo many questions and expect me to have the answer to every single one of it :) and i hope he will turn out alright nanti.

ak said...

Nice post ...


I too have many questions when I was young but most of my teachers answer it willingly ... except of course for a few Ustadz and Ustazah, because they think religion shouldn't be questioned.


But some people (politician mostly )use religion deliberately as a tool and expect people won't argue with them...and that is bad ...

chanz said...

So true.

What usually happened in Malay society was that, the young asking question to their elderly/older sibling or people, "WHY DO WE HAVE TO DO THAT?" Their typical reply would be, "BUAT JE LAH, DENGAR CAKAP ORANG TUA-TUA."

Terus senyap bila mereka cakap camtu. :/

dayang nur atiqah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Too much question might cause misunderstanding and discomfort in some situation..

Anonymous said...

Constructive opinion is good rather than questioning

Teesaz said...

saya dah padam apa yang saya tulis tadi

Nuha Fadhilah said...

During my childhood, i coloured cats with red colour and end up with friends were laughing at me. But then, those red cats were becoming a trend on that time. Haha

Ren said...

Good point sir! ;)

Feeqa Abas said...

Back then I used to ask a lot of questions and still does now. Sometimes it feels like my lecturers are annoyed of me keeps popping on their door with more new and complex questions. Haha. I'm annoying I know that! People like us should be together, metaphorically. Y'know