ive got a pretty interesting reply for my previous entry which deserves audience. enjoy.
OK, I'm bringing the fight over to here. Some quotes from Wiki:
- Currently, there is widespread scientific consensus that exposure to secondhand smoke is harmful. The link between passive smoking and health risks is accepted by every major medical and scientific organization, including:
* The World Health Organization
* The Centers for Disease Control
* The United States Surgeon General
* The United States Environmental Protection Agency
* The Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
* The United Kingdom Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health
* The governments of 168 nations have signed and currently 164 have ratified the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, which states that "Parties recognize that scientific evidence has unequivocally established that exposure to tobacco smoke causes death, disease and disability."
- The International Agency for Research on Cancer of the World Health Organization concluded in 2004 that there was sufficient evidence that secondhand smoke caused cancer in humans.
- A British study reported that exposure to secondhand smoke increases the risk of heart disease among non-smokers by as much as 60%, similar to light smoking.
- Evidence also shows that inhaled sidestream smoke, the main component of secondhand smoke, is about four times more toxic than mainstream smoke."
- Secondhand smoke is popularly recognized as a risk factor for cancer in pets."
- Animals like dogs, cats, squirrels, and other small animals are affected by not only second-hand smoke inhalation, but also nicotine poisoning... Littered cigarette butts from smokers are a problem for small animals that mistake them for food."
So, let's see........ your lifestyle choices are more important than the health of others? Fuck you.
And for those of you who claim that Wikipedia is unreliable, you're supposed to read the citations, silly.
OK, so suppose you say non-smokers can fuck off. Then I say why don't YOU fuck off? Simple reason: There are times when being exposure to second-smoke is unavoidable unless legislation is put into place. E.g., restaurants (people need to eat), work place (people need to work), toilets (people need to shit), parks (people need to sweat), beaches (people need to see turtles), clubs (people need to grind), bars (people need to get laid, uhh, I mean, drink).
would help you see why this is important, such as:
- In the first 18 months after Pueblo, Colorado enacted a 2003 smoking ban, hospital admissions for heart attacks dropped by 27% while admissions in neighbouring towns without smoking bans showed no change.
- UK's Bar Workers' Health and Environment Tobacco Smoke Exposure (BHETSE) study found the percentage of all workers reporting respiratory symptoms, such as wheezing, shortness of breath, cough and phlegm production, fell from 69% to 57%.
- A comprehensive smoking ban in New York was found to have prevented 3,813 hospital admissions for heart attacks in 2004.
You will note there's one (only one) contradictory study, but it was carried out by non-health professionals.
Also, this might be new to you, but
shows the effects of third-hand smoke. So yeah, even if you do not smoke directly in front of a non-smoker, there are all these particles that you carry with you or are left behind, that will be inhaled by them.
Anyway, on a kinder note, this website might help you see past your defensive rationalization mechanisms at work when it comes to smoking:
a. I don't own pets
b. I agree second hand smoking increases the risk of you having cancer compared to those not exposed - like when i agreed that if you go to the jungle and wrestle a bear, you are more likely to die compared to those staying at home.
c. In sum, I've already agreed that smoking does not contribute positively to health. anymore pasted facts on that i consider porn for grandma. its like watching re-runs of little house on prairie in the afternoon.
d. I also agree that sometimes it is unavoidable to avoid the lifeless, shapeless, spineless inanimate smoke in public places. But i have a solution for that, either ban smoking in those places (which you can't - and i'll explain this later) or avoid it in the first place. avoid the unavoidable.
e. The reason why it is called a public place is solely because it is maintaned by tax payers money. unless if you want to go down to "how much we paid tax" last year, let it still be a public place.
f. If the world has endorsed smoking as badass, then ban it already. now except for perhaps a number of districts and states think why they haven't done it. mostly because they can't. the economy is like a big giant orgy made by pockets of orgy. the bigger pocket is usually more important than the lesser one. talking further about this will lead to you becoming an anti capitalist and i shall try to avoid that.
g. Since you can't ban smoking entirely, and apparently it is so difficult to avoid cigarette smoke, on top of that it is four times more toxic than actually smoking it, why don't you go get a pack and reduce your risk by four times.
h. everyone's a junkie at something. you are boring if you don't have one.
i. your reply confirms what i said... that we are all selfish, it goes down to you saying fuck you to me and me replying with a big fu too. i hope we are both not offended.
j. when i was a kid, i knew an ice cream seller who annoyed basically everyone in the neighbourhood with his funky-epileptic-cheap disco ice cream tune. one day one neighbour told him off in which he replied, "lu tak suka, lu pindah pigi hutan la!"
k. i'll catch you around. :)